Monday was a day off for us, which was marvellous (though sadly the weather didn’t play ball) but I spent the rest of the week totally out of kilter and confused about what day it was (and nearly forgot that today is Sunday). Luckily I wasn’t the only bewildered one, so that was rather reassuring. I’m all up for three-day weekends, but I’d like to request that we get the Friday off rather than the Monday. Glad we’ve got that straight.
Now, on to this week’s Sunday Smiles:
- Long story short, I’ve spent a fair bit of time on the Go Pro website this week looking things up, and came across this lovely soothing video of beautiful autumnal foliage and mist in… uhm… somewhere (it doesn’t specify). It’s shot from a remote control plane thingy.
- Have you seen The Intouchables? I saw it when it was released in France last Christmas, but it’s only just been released here (not sure why), so I went to see it again with some of my labmates. It was just as fantastic as I remembered, and they loved it, too. If you get the chance, I definitely recommend it – a film about a tetraplegic and his carer who come from totally different walks of life might not sound like a barrel of laughs, but it’s excellent, I promise.
- I don’t think we’ve had a dreadful biology joke in a while, so here’s one for you: Why had the two algae never had sex? …Because they had a planktonic relationship. Badum-tschhhh! It comes courtesy of a labmate.
- So The Hobbit (part 1…) is having its premiere here in NZ some time soon (possibly next week?), though it’s not out in cinemas until mid-December. Apparently there’s a whole bunch of stuff going on in Wellington in honour of this. I read somewhere that they’re temporarily changing Wellington’s name to “The Middle of Middle Earth” or something and possibly even bringing out special stamps for the airport (I heard it on the radio, so this may or may not actually be true). Speaking of Wellington airport… A giant Gollum is now currently gracing the arrivals hall – amazing or what?!
- I’ve previously mentioned my love for Downton Abbey, so I was in utter awe when I came across this video of Downton Abbey character impressions, all done by the same guy. Just a warning: it contains spoilers of Season 3, so you might not want to watch it just yet if you’re not watching the series on the UK schedule. Anyway, the sound quality is slightly off, but I’m in awe of this guy’s imitation abilities. Just wow.
- There was a random BMX showcase thing going on in Aotea Square this weekend, with a bunch of performance artists also doing stuff. I’m not really sure why, but I stumbled across these goings on yesterday and since it was sunny and warm, I hung around to watch. It was a little bit like being in Edinburgh during the Fringe, but less crowded and without the rain. Anyway, the BMX part was utterly amazing. I’ve no idea why you’d want to launch yourself up a ramp on a teeny little bike and do flips and shit when your only landing options are a wooden ramp or concrete, but it’s pretty impressive to watch.
What made you smile this week?