Sunday Smiles has somewhat fallen off the radar. And by that I mean it has plummeted into the abyss of disorganisation and stayed there for the past two months. Woops. The original premise of Sunday Smiles was to give me a way to focus on the positives of the week – things that made me smile or laugh or that were simply just pretty – and aside from being disorganised, I guess I haven’t needed that so much over the last few months because I’m enjoying life in Leigh so much. But I think it’s time to bring Sunday Smiles back,* which obviously has nothing to do with the afforded opportunity to procrastinate from writing my thesis and everything to do with all the sunrise, sunset and sea view photos that I keep posting to Instagram…
So, time to kick off another edition of Sunday Smiles:
- You know those sunrise photos that I mentioned? Well. I’ve yet to get bored of the sunrises here and I’ve yet to cure my Instagram addiction… So here’s Wednesday’s sunrise – I just can’t get over the colours:
- One of my housemates and I have been going for walks around the Leigh area most evenings, resulting in some superb views (generally of the sea…) around sunset. It’s difficult not to feel happy and calm here (I’ve been informed that I’ll revise my opinion in winter – we’ll see).
- Ok, enough of how lucky I am at the moment, let’s move on to the cutest frog ever. Seriously. Since the desert rain frog (Breviceps macrops) sounds rather like a squeaky dog toy, it may also be the most ridiculous frog ever.
- Speaking of cute, how utterly adorable is this little harbour seal pup (Phoca vitulina) on a mission? That is one determined seal pup. I totally want to try this next time I have a spare surfboard and GoPro camera lying around (so probably never).
- A couple of my housemates and I went up to Waipu for St Patrick’s and on our way back we discovered a Dutch delicatessen in more or less the middle of nowhere (Kaiwaka to be precise). The deli (which also sells delicious cheese by the way) sold Chocomel and my favourite hagelslag ever: chocolade vlokken. I couldn’t contain my excitement and just had to buy some, resulting in quite possibly the best breakfast I’ve ever had, largely because, on the complete opposite side of the world from The Netherlands, it was so utterly unexpected. Lekker!! (PS – Chocolate sprinkles on toast is a legit breakfast. Stop judging me.)
- On a more cultured note, you may have read that Rembrandt’s The Night Watch has returned to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. But have you seen the flashmob recreation of the painting to celebrate the fact that it’s a bit of a big deal? Isn’t that an amazing idea?
- And finally, we wouldn’t want things to get too high-brow around here, so we’ll finish off with this excellent take on a motivational poster, which came to me courtesy of Craig (source):
So on that inspirational note, what made you smile this week?
*Even though this is actually going up on Monday, thanks to our Internet completely conking out last night… Living in rural NZ does have the occasional downside.