Why hello there. Welcome to Sunday Smiles… On Monday. Evidently I am doing marvellously at the whole being organised thing. The (mostly) lovely weather and the sea are just too tempting. I mentioned last week that I only had accommodation until Friday, and I’m sure you were all terribly worried for me, but you’ll be glad to know that that’s sorted (phew) and I’ve moved into a student house which is great, but my blogging time has consequently been even further reduced. I’ll get myself organised eventually.
Anyway, it’s still Sunday somewhere, so let’s jump into
this last week’s Sunday Smiles:
- By far the most exciting thing to happen this week is that I saw a New Zealand eagle ray (Myliobatis tenuicaudatus) in the wild for the first time ever. That’s my study species and I’ve been watching them in tanks for the past seven months or so, but it was super exciting to see one in the wild! Sadly I didn’t have a camera with me so couldn’t get any photos to share with you guys.
- Sunday Smiles is pretty good evidence that I’m a bit of an Instagram addict, so when I came across a Nickelback parody by College Humour, Look at this Instagram, it made me laugh. Mostly because it’s largely true. (Also it contains some swearing.)
- I’ve been looking for a wine stopper for ages and completely randomly came across this totally amazing shark wine stopper. Is it not totally amazing? If anybody is looking to get me a present… *Unsubtle hint*
- I’ve previously mentioned that I’m a bit of a stickler for grammar, and although a lot vs. alot isn’t my personal pet hate, this post made me giggle – not only the point of it, but the style in which it is written and the accompanying cartoons. I actually came across it a while ago, but happened across the link again this week, and thought I’d share…
- So you know the shark wine stopper above? Well, I thought I’d have a look at whether there was anything similar going on Etsy. There wasn’t, but I did come across this baby shark bath robe – why doesn’t it come in an adult size?! (Hint hint you crafty Etsy people…)
- The finding of horse meat in some burgers in the UK and Ireland prompted a bit of a media storm this week. And as with any big story, there were some rather humorous reactions on Twitter – here’s a round-up of the best horse burger jokes.
- Between the wild eagle rays and shark-themed things, today’s Sunday Smiles is turning into a bit of an elasmobranch edition, so I’ll just keep running with the theme. One of my friends regularly sends me links to shark cartoons, and her latest offering amused me greatly since this particular friend and I frequently have some similar not-so-bright moments. (Cartoon source)
- And finally, in case you’re still having a bad day, my friend Emma sent me an instant cheer up: 19 people having a worse day than you. I feel the Lindsay Lohan dig at the bottom is a bit harsh, but the other ones all amused me (bad person, etc.).
Enjoy the rest of your day, wherever you are in the world!