After a wee break, Sunday Smiles is back! Well, sort of – I haven’t spent much time online in the last few weeks, so there aren’t any memes or random entries this week and it’s more of a little recap of what’s been happening since my last Sunday Smiles post.
Sunday Smiles (and the blog in general) will be back properly next week, but in the meantime, let’s go on what is essentially a little trip through my Instagram feed from the last few weeks:
- So for a start, the world didn’t end (in case you hadn’t noticed). Which is hardly surprising, but jolly good news nonetheless.
- I mentioned that my mum and I went on a little jam-packed tour of NZ. It was amazing. To be honest, I’m still sort of processing everything that we saw. I’ll go into more detail about various aspects of the trip in later Toothy’s Travels posts, but in the meantime, here a few photos:
- Just in case you live in a cave (with internet access) and weren’t aware, The Hobbit was released. NZ is going all out – from banks…
- …To Auckland Airport. I’ll be honest, I love it. I also got to watch the Hobbit-themed Air New Zealand safety video on an actual aeroplane when we flew back up from Christchurch which was terribly exciting (even if it is rather silly and cringeworthy).
- Cherries are in season!! My mum and I were able to get some straight from a producer when we were down in Central Otago, and they were so tasty. Cherries are one of my favourite fruits but seem to be incredibly expensive here so I don’t think I’ll be eating very many this summer sadly.
- Unfortunately, all holidays must come to an end, and after three wonderful weeks, my mum had to go back to Edinburgh. We don’t know when we’ll next see each other, which is tough, but her departure was made a little easier by the fact that Kat arrived to visit for ten days (although sadly she leaves tomorrow) on her way to Australia, which was super exciting since I haven’t seen her since February.
- We went on a little Hogmanay wine tour around Waiheke Island which I think might well be the best thing to do on Hogmanay ever. Plus it was sunny and warm and the scenery is beautiful. Oh and the wine was good. And I got photobombed by a bumblebee, which I didn’t notice until we got home and I looked at the photos properly.
- We watched The Hobbit, which was super exciting since we were in actual NZ (as opposed to not actual NZ…). Have you seen it? What did you think? There were a few niggles and I’m not keen on the high frame rate and 3D thing – they seemed a little gimmicky to me and I’m not really sure what they actually added to the film – but overall, I loved it.
- Having watched The Hobbit and re-watched the Lord of the Rings films, we had a bit of a geek-out and went to… Hobbiton! I’ll write more about it in a future post, but suffice to say, it was a marvellous day out.
- And finally, I’d just like to share this hilarious little gecko* that was just chilling out in his display case at Auckland Museum when we visited. I think it sums up the wonderful NZ attitude pretty well.
What made you smile this week?
*So… I got so distracted by the actual gecko and its little pose that I forgot to note the actual species… I think it might be a Northland green gecko (Naultinus grayii), but I’m not 100% sure about that.