New Zealand went into summer time today, which means the clocks went forward through the night. I’m super excited about being one step closer to summer, but mildly unimpressed at losing an hour of sleep. You win some, you lose some. And waking up to bright sunshine definitely helped, particularly since a couple of days ago, the forecast for this weekend was solid rain.
So on to this week’s Sunday Smiles:
- First off, this photo of the Space Shuttle Endeavour flying over San Francisco’s Bay Bridge is rather amazing. I was totally into space and astronauts when I was little, and I still find the Space Shuttle awe-inspiring. Even if it’s attached to a 747 (or whatever kind of plane that is).
- The Great Barrier Reef has been put on Google Street View. I’d heard that this was going to happen, but thought it was currently still being photographed. Clearly I’m just behind in my news… Anyway, it’s amazing, fabulous for procrastination and we totally had a marine biology geek-out the other day in the lab. We’re super cool like that.
- Clearly it’s marine biology geek-out week, although if you’re a little squeamish, you might not be too keen on this one. The technicians have some starfish in tanks at the moment (possibly for a lab, but I’m not sure) and on Friday they were consuming some little crabs that were in the same tank. I’m not sure if they were supposed to do that or not, but regardless, it’s rather awesome. Because the starfish are attached to the clear sides of the tank, you can see the trapped crabs, and, totally exciting, the starfish’s stomachs. Quick biology lesson: many starfish species digest their prey outside their body by everting their stomachs. It’s kind of utterly amazing. And also pretty slow I think. I’m rather intrigued to see what state these crabs will be in tomorrow (there’s actually a tiny little crab to the right of the larger one, but it’s difficult to see in the photo):
- Check out these amazing light paintings set around Los Angeles. I really like the dinosaur ones (because dinosaurs!), but the one of the campers is so clever. People are so skilled! I can hardly draw on paper, never mind with light in a photograph. Just wow.
- I’m not the greatest fan of London’s Underground (give me Paris’ metro any day – oooo controversial), but these guerrilla Underground signs make me want to take it just to see if I can spot one. They amused me.
- And finally, it appears that OPI have brought out a Germany collection of nail varnishes (I’ve no idea why). It’s not clear whether a miniature painting of the Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies comes hidden in the bottle of My Very First Knockwurst or not.* (If you’ve landed on this page after some strange search and haven’t found what you’re actually looking for then I do apologise.)
What made you smile this week?
*If you’ve no idea what I’m talking about, you should watch ‘Allo ‘Allo (British sense of humour highly recommended…).